Cache Valley Mamas

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cache Valley Mamas
Cache Valley Mamas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question??

4 posters

Go down

Question?? Empty Question??

Post by natalie Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 pm

So I am really interested in switching to cloth diapers. I knew some of you use them right now, I was just wondering how you like them, where you got them. I don't know too much about them, but I really want to start using them. How many do you have, and how often do you do laundry?
natalie
natalie

Back to top Go down

Question?? Empty Re: Question??

Post by sandyd Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:02 pm

I was planning on using cloth diapers from the get go but my baby had to wear a harness for the first 3 months so I used disposable and around 4 months I finally ran out of disposables. I originally purchased a package that included 3 dozen infant chinese prefolds, 2 dozen premium chinese prefolds, 4 small bummis whisper wraps, 4 large bummis whisper wraps. I also purchased snappis to hold the diapers. I was also able to purchase 6 used bumgenius one size diapers last summer which saved me a lot of money.

It took me a week or so to figure out how to fold the diaper correctly and which folds I liked. My husband doesn't use the prefolds because he hasn't taken the time to learn how to fold the diaper and probably doesn't have the patience to learn. He uses the bumgenius diapers. I also give my sitter the bumgenius diapers. They are as easy as disposables to put on.

I did a lot of research and didn't want to commit to anything just yet. I bought the prefold package from www.clothdiaper.com. I ordered my own PUL cloth and made my own wet bags which saved me a bunch of money. I checked out a bunch of sites and reviews. And here is what I have learned so far since February. It is always nice to have prefolds as a foundation. I am in the process of converting my prefolds into fitted so my husband can pin them up to and I found a bunch of free patterns online. If you look online people love the bumgenius 3.0 and I think they are fantastic too. The biggest complaint by most people who have used them for a long time is the velcro loses it stickiness. So before investing in a dozen more I decided to order a happy heiney and fuzzi bunz one size diaper to try them out. Here are the big differences: bumgenius uses a microsuede for the inner and the pocket is inside the diaper instead of the edge, you adjust the rise with snaps and velcro around the waist; the fuzzi bunz uses fleece for the inner, the pocket is on the edge and it uses snaps around the waist and elastic in the legs to adjust the rise; the happy heiney uses fleece for the inner, the pocket is on the edge and it uses snaps to adjust the rise and you can order either snaps or velcro for the waist. I don't know if they matters to you but bumgenious provides different colors; fuzzi bunzi comes in different colors and a few color patterns; happy heiny comes in different colors and a bunch of patterns.

I really like the happy heiny and I am planning on buying more. I bought my fuzzi bunz and happy heiney from abbyslane.com. They have great customer service and amazing shipping time. If you like to sew I have found a few one size patterns online which would save you a bunch of money. I have learned from trial and error and personal preference. I use a dry pail system and wash every 2-3 days. I have also purchased flushable liners for the diaper once Olivia started on solids so when she has a bowel moment I can get most of it off on the liner. I just pull it off and put it in the toilet. I did purchase a water sprayer but I haven't had my husband install it on our toilet. The cheapest price I found was on clothdiaper.com. There are a bunch of recommendations on how to launder the diapers but I also read a lot of suggestions on finding what works best for you. I only do a hot wash and cold rinse and air dry and that has cleaned my diapers well.

Sorry for the huge post. I have spent a lot of time looking into cloth diapers and I am still experimenting. You can check out reviews at diaperpin.com. if you want any more information or wanted to check out any of the diapers i have before you order, just let me know. I have done a lot of internet research so I can refer you to other sites if you like. You can reach me at 232-2168 or sandy.durtschi@usu.edu
sandyd
sandyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Sandy--that is a great post and so informative!

I have been exclusively cloth diapering my four month old since she was 6 weeks (had to use up all those baby shower dipes)!

I bought 2 dozen infant prefolds from littlelions.com and 3 Thirsties small covers (from DiaperSwappers--check that site out! It's a great place to find information and to buy gently used diapers).

I was also given 6 pockets, which are "Daddy dipes" (he doesn't do the prefolds) and overnight diapers. Oh, I don't snappi the prefolds--I just fold them in thirds and lay them in a liner.

So, Cosette is in prefolds/covers during the day and pockets at night. I wash about every 3 days with a natural detergent called "Charlie's Soap"--but some people just use Purex Free and Clear or Tide. I do a cold rinse and then a warm wash.

I love cloth diapering. It has already saved so so so much money. Definitely check out Diaperswappers, althought that might be too much information.

Would anyone be interested in a cloth diaper party? Sandy, myself, and anyone else who has babies in cloth can show each other the various styles, etc. Any interest?
Amy
Amy
Admin

http://www.foxandamyinutah.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mom2twogirls Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:20 pm

i'm interested!
mom2twogirls
mom2twogirls

http://www.priddisfamily.shutterfly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by natalie Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks for all the great info! I would love to have a cloth diaper party to learn more!!!
natalie
natalie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down